Cheque/Warrant. Different?
Graham Harrison
2011-12-30 19:35:02 UTC
I receive a dividend from a Canadian company. For their own reasons they
cannot/will not pay me via BACS so I receive what I've always thought of and
treated as a cheque. The document is drawn on a UK bank, in GBP, with
sort-code, account number, cheque number and I pay it in to my bank just
like any other cheque. So I've always worked on the basis "It walks like a
duck, quacks like a duck etc..."

A new cheque appeared today and I noticed it had the following wording on it
(small print!). It may well have been there on previous cheques and I
never noticed it:

"If not presented within TWELVE MONTHS this warrant must be returned for
verification."

So what, if anything, is the difference between a warrant and a cheque or is
one a form of the other?
Owain
2011-12-30 20:10:01 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
"If not presented within TWELVE MONTHS this warrant must be returned for
verification."
So what, if anything, is the difference between a warrant and a cheque or is
one a form of the other?
According to wikipedia (I know, I know ...)

Warrants look like cheques and clear through the banking system like
cheques, but are not drawn against cleared funds in a deposit account.
A cheque differs from a warrant in that the warrant is not necessarily
payable on demand and may not be negotiable.

Owain
Graham Harrison
2012-01-02 20:35:02 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
"If not presented within TWELVE MONTHS this warrant must be returned for
verification."
So what, if anything, is the difference between a warrant and a cheque or is
one a form of the other?
According to wikipedia (I know, I know ...)

Warrants look like cheques and clear through the banking system like
cheques, but are not drawn against cleared funds in a deposit account.
A cheque differs from a warrant in that the warrant is not necessarily
payable on demand and may not be negotiable.

Owain

======================

Thank you.

Andy Burns
I thought a normal UK cheque had an expiry period of 6 months?
the Omrud
2011-12-30 23:35:01 UTC
I receive a dividend from a Canadian company. For their own reasons they
cannot/will not pay me via BACS so I receive what I've always thought of
and treated as a cheque. The document is drawn on a UK bank, in GBP,
with sort-code, account number, cheque number and I pay it in to my bank
just like any other cheque. So I've always worked on the basis "It walks
like a duck, quacks like a duck etc..."
A new cheque appeared today and I noticed it had the following wording
on it (small print!). It may well have been there on previous cheques
"If not presented within TWELVE MONTHS this warrant must be returned for
verification."
So what, if anything, is the difference between a warrant and a cheque
or is one a form of the other?
I don't get dividends these days (put my money into property) but I have
the feeling that UK dividends used to say the same thing.
--
David